The goal of Milepost 5 is to provide a range of flexible live/work space for artists and creatives in a community setting and to help residents pursue their passions and build their creative careers. Our application process is meant to determine whether the rental candidate is a working creative who would appropriately benefit from the Milepost 5 environment. Selection is not based upon aesthetic style or limited to any one type of creative pursuit. Our goal is creating a community of active, working creatives following a broad range of pursuits, professions, and passions-where writers, painters, dancers, sculptors, musicians, designers, etc. live and work side-by-side in a supportive and dynamic environment.
If that sounds right up your alley, we invite you to join our community!
This is your comprehensive list of rental resources for both The Lofts and The Studios at Milepost 5. If you are interested in purchasing a Loft space, Click here.
If you have any questions about the process, please contact Property Manager Laura Blackburn at (503) 333-3331 or Laura@beamdevelopment.com.
- Which Building Is Right for You?
- Rental Application Process
- Application Screening Process
- Artistic Screening Process
Which Building Is Right For You?
The Studios: All units on the 2nd and 3rd floors are live/work spaces–so you can live in it, work in it, or do both. 1st floor units are work only, but can accommodate retail/commercial usage. Most studio units have their own bathrooms. Shared bathrooms are available for the rest. Shared, community kitchens on each floor. Some multi-room suites. Artists can share work spaces-or rent multiple studios: live in one and work in another. Utility sinks for common usage are located throughout the building. Units range in size from approximately 150 to 400 square feet. Rents start around $300. (availability varies)
The Lofts: All units are live / work with full kitchens & bathrooms, completely updated with all new systems and amenities. The Lofts feature high-ceilings, open floor-plans, additional basement storage units with every unit, access to a rooftop sunset deck, and community garden. Many units have private decks or patios. Units range in size from approximately 450 to 900 square feet. Rents start around $650. (availability varies)
Step #1. Sign up for the waiting list.
Click here to sign up online for the waiting list (the form is the same for both buildings, so feel free to specify either or both). Please share any other information we may find helpful, such as your preferred rent range or square footage, or any other special requests. This will help us to match available units to potential renters as they become available.
Step #2. Email us your supplementary information.
Your waiting list application will be considered complete when we have received the artistic component of your application. Please email Property Manager Laura Blackburn (Laura@beamdevelopment.com) with the following information:
- Statement of interest (maximum 500 words): Why do you want to be a part of the artist community at Milepost 5 and what will you be doing here? Include whether you will be using your space for work, live, or both. Please include in the body of your email, not an attachment.
- Short personal biography. Please include in the body of your email, not an attachment.
- 4-8 examples of work, showcasing as diverse a range as possible. If sending images, make them low resolution (72dpi, 500 pix largest dimension) and as attachments.
Please note that we strongly prefer you to send us links to your website, online portfolio, sound or video files, writing samples, etc., rather than attached files.
Step #3. Portfolio review and/or interview.
We review every candidate’s portfolio and personal statement as soon as they are received in order to speed the process when a unit becomes available that meets your needs. If your portfolio is not available digitally, please contact Laura to set up an appointment. (This is not a critique or approval, merely an opportunity for us to see your work. You will not be given a formal acceptance or decline in the interview, but please do feel free to ask any questions about the application process or the community as a whole, and don’t forget to take a tour through the galleries while you’re here to see what we’re all about!)
Step #4. Fill out a rental application with all necessary background.
If a unit comes available that meets your needs and you are the top candidate, we will ask you to fill out and return a basic rental application (standard background and credit check). There is a $40 non-refundable fee to process the application.
Step #5. Sign a lease.
If your application is accepted, we then sign a 6-to-12-month residential lease. (Please note that month-to-month tenancies are not available until your lease terminates.) Move-in cost is a minimum of 1-month rent plus a security deposit equal to 1-month rent plus the 1st-month utility fee. All utilities (minus phone, internet and cable) are included in the utility fee. The utility fee is based on square footage of the leased unit.
- There is a $40.00 charge for each individual applicant. You may pay this fee by check or money order only. This charge covers our costs to run both a credit check and a criminal background check. Tenant Data Screening provides the credit report, which relays information for the last seven (7) years.
SCREENING POLICIES & CRITERIA:
- We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, national origin, familial or marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or source of income.
- We require the following criteria:
- A complete application for each adult 18 or older. Please be aware that unfavorable information for any individual applicant may result in denial of all applications for that group.
- A three year residency history; have the name, address and phone number of previous landlords available.
- A three year employment history includinging the name, address and phone number of all previous employers .
- Verifiable gross monthly income that is two and a half times the amount of rent. This may include but is not limited to alimony/child support, trust accounts, social security, grants or student loans.
Self Employed applicants must provide a copy of their most recent tax return, current bank statement & business license or proof of DBA, LLC, LLP, etc….
Section 8 applicants: Please note we do not accept Section 8 applicants.
Social Security: recipients must provide a copy of their check or annual benefits letter.
Roommates: combined income from all applicants must equal 2.5 times the rent.
Full Time Students: must provide current bank statement with a balance of 4x the rent or financial aid award letter.
Out of State Applicants: with no local employer, must provide current bank statement with balance of 5x the rent.
Two pieces of Identification: Please choose one from each group below:
Passport (foreign or US). US Drivers License. US State issued ID card
Social security card. Birth certificate. Resident Alien, work visa or student visa
Proof of income: pay stub, bank statement, etc.
Maximum occupancy: no more than two (2) people per bedroom.
You may be asked to pay a higher security deposit (up to 2x the rent) for the following:
- No credit or poor credit (incl. slow pay or discharged bankruptcy more than one year ago).
- No landlord references (must be from an unbiased source; no roommate or family references).
- The total security deposit required will be that of the least qualified applicant.
You will be denied tenancy and will forfeit your application fee for the following (but not limited to):
- Incomplete or misrepresentation of any information on your application.
- Insufficient income.
- Eviction judgments (ever).
- Felony charges and/or convictions (ever) or 3 or more misdemeanor charges.
- Judgment and/or if you have more than ten items in collections not relating to medical bills or expenses or charge offs in the last seven (7) years.
- Discharged bankruptcy within the last twelve (12) months or any open bankruptcy.
- Negative landlord reference including: money owed to a prior landlord, three violation notices issued in a one year period (I.e; 72 hour notice, NSF, noise/disturbance, unauthorized pets or occupants), excessive damage upon move out or if a landlord refuses to give a reference.
IF YOU MEET THE APPLICATION CRITERIA: and are accepted you will have the peace of mind of knowing other renters in your complex are being screened with equal care.
- Holding a Unit/Deposit: if you wish to hold the apartment for more than three (3) days, we will require that you pay a reservation deposit; if you do not thereafter execute a rental agreement take possession of the premises as agreed you will forfeit that deposit. We reserve the right to request the deposit to hold or other move in monies be paid in certified funds (money order or cashiers check). We are not required to hold any premises for you for more than three (3) days without payment of a reservation deposit. Your application fee will not be refunded if the foregoing three (3) day period lapses without payment of a reservation deposit and/or execution of a rental agreement.
TIMES FOR APPLICATION SUBMISSION:
Applications can be taken weekdays between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm. Applications completed after hours or weekends will be processed the next business day. We accept the first qualified applicant.
OTHER FEES AT MILEPOST 5 :
- $50 Late Fee, when rent is not received by 5:00 pm on the 5th day of the month.
- $25 Non Sufficient Funds Fee (NSF), for payment returned by your financial/banking institution.
- $50 Rule Violation Fee, when a written notice is issued by the management office.
- $50 Illegal/Unauthorized Parking Fee, plus any tow costs assessed by the Tow Company to remove vehicle.
- $50 Unauthorized Dumping Fee, plus any actual charge levied by the hauler to dispose of the items.
Smoke Detector Tampering or Removal: Up to $250, per state law, plus the cost to replace detector or batteries.
Lease Break Fee: equal to one and a half times the stated rent if you terminate your lease agreement prior to the lease end date.
Lock change, Lock out, Lost key: You will be charged the prevailing maintenance rate if you request assistance with your locks/keys.
Missed Appointment with Scheduled Vendor: if you have scheduled and missed a unit repair appointment with either an outside vendor or a Management representative, a fee will be charged.
UTILITIES: All utilities are billed at a flat rate based on the size and included amenities of your unit and available for your use at the complex.
RENTERS INSURANCE: We STRONGLY ENCOURAGE all our residents to carry this type of insurance.
Artistic Screening Process
Upon submitting a waitlist request through the Milepost 5 website, your next step towards residency is to email the artistic portion of your application. Please email Milepost 5 Property Manager, Laura Blackburn Laura@beamdevelopment.com with the following information:
- Statement of Interest (maximum 500 words): Why do you want to be a part of the artist community at Milepost 5 and what will you be doing here? Include whether you will be using your space for work, live, or both. Please include this in the body of your email, and not an attachment.
- Short Personal Biography: this should also be in the body of your email, and not an attachment.
- 4-8 Examples of Work: showcasing as diverse a range as possible. If sending images, make them low resolution (72dpi, 500 pix largest dimension) and as attachments.
Please note that we strongly prefer you to send us links to your website, online portfolio, sound or video files, or writing samples, rather than attached files.
Milepost 5 was created to provide an affordable home for artists of all disciplines within which they can pursue their craft surrounded, by a diversity of creatives. We evaluate proposals based on a number of factors to determine whether a candidate is a good fit for this community. Some questions we ask ourselves are:
- Is this applicant a working artist? Please note the term “working” rather than “professional” or “successful.” Some artists make money from their art, and some don’t. Some pursue it full-time, while others hold down 9-5 jobs. Neither of these are factors in our decision-making. All we need is to see that you are pursuing the act of creation with passion, with a serious professional approach, and with great commitment – that you are DOING it, whether or not it ever makes you money.
- Is this applicant’s artistic voice inspiring? Does your work excite us? Does it tell a story that needs to be told? Will it add something new to the community that we don’t already have? Will Milepost 5 grow and flourish from your creativity being here? If your work was a visitor’s first impression of our community, would it make them want to see more?
- Will this applicant be a positive addition to the community? Are you bringing new ideas for community events or partnerships? Do we sense your excitement about being surrounded by other creatives? Are you ‘on board’ with all the additional resident responsibilities at Milepost 5 including annual volunteer hours to sharing kitchen and bathroom space with neighbors? Are you committed to making this community a better place?
Property Manager Laura Blackburn reviews every candidate’s portfolio and personal statement as soon as they are received. This helps facilitates the residency process when a unit fitting your needs becomes available. If your portfolio is not available digitally, please contact Laura to arrange an in-person portfolio review. Please be mindful that the portfolio review is merely an opportunity to see your work and not to approve or critique your work. You will not be given a formal acceptance or rejection in the interview. Do feel free to ask any questions about the application process or the community at any time and don’t forget to take a tour through the galleries while you’re here to see what we’re all about.
Thank you for taking the time to review our rental guidelines and policies, and for your interest in Milepost 5. If you have more questions about rentals, please contact Property Manager Laura Blackburn E-Mail: Laura@beamdevelopment.com Phone: (503) 333-3331